- 100 g (1 cup) yellow lentils, soaked overnight and boiled until soft
- 60 g (1/2 cup) carrot, chopped into small cubes
- 86 g (1 cup) brinjal, diced
- 50 g (1/5 whole) cucumber, diced
- 25 g (1 whole) tomato, diced
- 800 ml (3 cups) homemade vegetable stock
- 10 g (1 whole) red onion, chopped finely
- 10 g (2 cloves) garlic, chopped finely
- 10 g (1 teaspoon) curry powder
- 20 g (2 teaspoon) chili powder
- 1 stalk curry leaves
- 5 g (1 teaspoon) cumin seeds
- 20 g (2 teaspoons) mustard seeds
- 7 g (1 teaspoon) turmeric powder
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
- Heat some oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Then sauté red onion and garlic until fragrant. Then add curry powder, turmeric powder, mustard seeds, chili powder, curry leaves and cumin seeds. Sauté a while and stir constantly to not burn the mixture. Pour in vegetable stock.
- Add lentils into the saucepan and simmer until mixture slightly thickens.
- Add in carrot and brinjal and continue to simmer until cooked. Finally add the cucumber and lastly the tomato.
- Cover and simmer over low fire for 15 minutes until lentils soften and gravy becomes thick. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Suitable to serve with tosai, naan, chapatti, or rice
Lentil is a legume which is a good source of protein and fiber.
Nutrient content per serving:
An educational collaboration with Nutrition Society of Malaysia
Recipes courtesy of ‘Buku Masakan Pilihan Pakar Pemakanan, Jilid 2: Resipi untuk Seisi Keluarga’ by Nutrition Society of Malaysia. To purchase this recipe book which includes 100 recipes, please email: [email protected]