Serving size – 1⁄2 cup (Yields 10 servings)
- 195g fragrant rice, washed and drained
- 35g yellow dhal, washed, soaked for 30 minutes and drained
- 3g mustard seeds
- 20ml oil
- 4 small onions, sliced
- 2 slices of ginger and 2 clove garlic, grounded
- 15ml fresh lemon juice
- 625ml water
- 5g salt
- 55g slivered almonds
- Wash rice and drain in a strainer.
- Wash dhal and soak for 20 minutes. Then drain.
- In a pot, sauté mustard seed, onions, ground ginger and garlic until fragrant.
- Mix in rice, dhal, salt, and stir well. Cook until light brown.
- Add water and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover the pot. Leave to cook.
- Mix in almonds before serving.
For microwave cooking
- Cook uncovered at medium high for 15 minutes. Cover and cook for 8 more minutes.
Nutrient content per serving
|Calorie||: 163 kcal|
|Calcium||: 25 mg|
|Protein||: 4 g|
|Iron||: 1 mg|
|Fat||: 4 g|