(Suggested number of servings: 5)
- 123 g (1/2 cup) lean beef
- 108 g (2 cup) spinach
- 105 g (1 cup) bean sprouts
- 22 g (10 pieces) dried shiitake mushrooms
- 108 g (1 whole) carrot
- 279 g (1 ½ cup) brown rice
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) tomato or chili sauce
- 5 g (1 clove) garlic
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) soy sauce
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) sesame oil
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) honey
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) oil
- 4 pieces dried seaweed
- 265 g (5 whole) eggs
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- Wash the rice and cook in a rice cooker.
- Mince the beef using a food processor.
- Blanch the spinach and bean sprouts separately.
- Peel the carrot and slice thinly.
- Chop the garlic into small pieces.
- Soften the mushrooms by soaking in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water and remove the stems of the soaked mushrooms.
- Slice the mushrooms into thin slices.
- Marinate the beef with soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil, honey, pepper and salt in a bowl.
- Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Stir- fry the beef with a little oil until cooked and set aside.
- Repeat step 3 with mushrooms.
- Fry the eggs, sunny side up style, 1 at a time.
- Put the rice into a bowl and using a food tong, arrange the meat, assorted vegetables, mushrooms and seaweed around the rice with an egg in the centre.
- Pour some soy sauce and tomato or chili sauce on top of the rice.
- Serve warm.
Nutrient content per serving:
Recipes courtesy of “Junior Chef Cookbook, Vol 1: Let’s Play Healthy Cooking” by Nutrition Society of Malaysia. To purchase this recipe book which includes 35 recipes, please email to: [email protected]
An educational collaboration with Nutrition Society of Malaysia.