- 2 kg (1 whole) chicken, skin and fat removed, quartered
- 40 g (4 cloves) garlic, chopped
- 40 g (2 inch) ginger, blended
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 250 ml (1 cup) plain yoghurt
- 3 g (1 tsp) garam masala
- 3 g (1 tsp) ground coriander
- 3 g (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 3 g (1 tsp) ground turmeric
- 3 g (1 tsp) ground fennel
- 3 g (1 tbsp) sweet paprika
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) mint sauce (optional)
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a small pan over medium heat. Stir in the coriander, cumin, turmeric, fennel, garam masala, mint sauce and paprika. Sauté until fragrant (approximately 2-3 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- Whisk in the cooled spicy oil mixture into the yogurt. Gently mix in the lemon juice, garlic, salt and ginger.
- Cut deep slashes (to the bone) in 3-4 places onto the leg/thigh pieces. Just make 2-3 cuts if you are using separate drumsticks and thighs. Coat the chicken in the marinade, cover and chill for at least an hour (preferably 6-8 hours or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 240°C. Transfer the chicken pieces to an ovenproof dish. Bake the marinated chicken in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked right through and browned on top. The chicken is done when the juices run clear.
- Let it rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with naan, Indian flatbread, or steamed rice.
Nutrient content per serving:
Recipes courtesy of ‘Buku Masakan Pilihan Pakar Pemakanan, Jilid 2: Resipi untuk Seisi Keluarga’ by Nutrition Society of Malaysia. To purchase this recipe book which includes over 50 recipes, please email: [email protected]