You’ve heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but children need this all-crucial meal even more. This is because their growing bodies and developing brains need a regular intake of nourishment and when they skip breakfast, they would have gone for as long as 12 hours without food. This can cause nutritional, intellectual and behavioural problems.
Breakfast is also important for children because:
- It increases concentration, problem-solving skills and eye-hand concentration and coordination.
- Keep kids more alert and creative.
- It provides enough energy and endurance until the next meal.
Start Them Off Early
You should inculcate your kids at the earliest stage possible with a lifetime habit of eating breakfast and educate them on its importance in maintaining good health. The best way is to set a good example and eat your breakfast!
Here are some simple steps to incorporate into your daily routine to make sure you and your children eat breakfast daily:
- Wake up a few minutes earlier to prepare breakfast.
- Prepare breakfast the night before if you think you (or your kids) will be rushing the next morning.
- Pack a meal for your little ones so they can eat on their way to school or at school.
General Breakfast Principles
You’re making an effort to get your kids to breakfast everyday, but what do you feed them? Some principles that can guide you in preparing wholesome, healthy breakfasts include:
- A balanced, varied meal ensures your kids get all the essential nutrients e.g. carbohydrates, protein, fat, vitamins and minerals.
- Choose one item from at least three of these four groups: fruits and veggies; grains (e.g. whole grain bread, bran muffins); dairy (milk, cheese, yoghurt) and protein (eggs, tuna, lean slices of meat, peanut butter).
- Make milk and eggs (good sources of protein) a must.
- Always serve breakfast with a nutritious beverage high in protein, vitamins and minerals. Milk should always be the first choice, followed by fresh fruit juice.
|What’s For Breakfast?|
Try these delicious breakfast ideas to give your kids a great start to the day: