Bread base ingredients
- 100g (3⁄4 cup) plain flour
- 80g (3⁄4 cup) wholemeal flour
- 43g (1⁄2 cup) ground almond
- 7.6g (2 tsp) baking powder
- 2g (1⁄2 tsp) bicarbonate of soda
- 2.6g (1⁄2 tsp) salt
- 1.3g (1⁄2 tsp) cinnamon
- 130g (2⁄3 cup) caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 tsp vanilla, either pure or essence
- 100g butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tbsp yogurt or reduced-fat milk
- 1cup (4) ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
For variation: decorate with oatmeal, sunflower/pumpkin seeds or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Lightly grease a 19 x 9 cm loaf tin with butter or line with baking paper.
- Place bread base ingredients into the bowl of electric mixer. Mix on low speed for about 1 minute.
- Add eggs, vanilla and melted butter. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Remove bowl from mixer and fold in milk and banana by hand. Do not over mix the mixture, it is okay if the batter looks lumpy.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in tin for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and when it is fully cold, slice into 12 pieces.
- You may use other nuts or seeds like walnuts or sunflower/pumpkin seeds instead of ground almond or a mixture of them.
- Instead of baking in loaf tin, you may use cupcake liners and bake for 30 minutes or if toothpick comes out clean.
Nutrient content per serving
|Calories||: 228 kcal|
|Carbohydrate||: 30.3 g|
|Protein||: 4.5 g|
|Fat||: 9.9 g|